We call it Doing The Right Thing, The Right Way, At The Right Time — this is The Vulcan Way. Since 1969, Rockingham Quarry has produced construction aggregates, or crushed rock. The quarry has been an important economic engine for Richmond County and is one of 22 facilities we operate in North Carolina. We make construction aggregates that help grow and sustain communities while forming the building blocks for the region’s roads, bridges, homes, hospitals, schools, office buildings and places of worship.
We are committed to investing in Richmond County by creating and supporting jobs and economic opportunity while operating safely, reliably and in an environmentally responsible manner. Our people are motivated to be the best they can be to the benefit of the communities we serve. Visit www.workforvulcan.com to search and apply for job openings.
We Support the Local Economy
We believe in local. With more than 60 employees and retirees living in Richmond County, Rockingham Quarry provides vital economic and community benefits to the area. Rockingham Quarry contributes millions in annual economic benefits for Richmond County. Between 2014-2020, Vulcan purchased more than $3.147 million in goods and services from Richmond County-based businesses and organizations. We serve nearly 40 key customer accounts in Richmond County, including contractors, local government and builders.
Rockingham Quarry is supported by an experienced team of professionals at Vulcan Materials Company, which is an industry leader in safety, health and environmental stewardship. We are the company we are today thanks to the positive actions of our more than 9,000 employees. We believe that doing the right thing is good for our business, our environment and our society. Visit csr.vulcanmaterials.com to learn more about our team.
Committed to Richmond County
We believe strong communities are built on the actions of people, individually and collectively. Our people are proud to support Richmond County, volunteering their time, talent and funds to the benefit of educational and social causes. And as good neighbors, Rockingham Quarry employees find many opportunities to make positive impacts in our communities.
- Maintaining a community feedback line and email to respond to questions or concerns.
- Participating in area events including the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, the Micha Forrester Benefit Ride, the Discovery Place Kids Run for Ribbons and the Ellerbe Strawberry Festival.
- Supporting local community and civic groups including Richmond County 4-H, Central NC Boy Scouts of America, Rockingham Rotary, Habitat for Humanity, The Humane Society, Rockingham Lions Club and Leak Street Alumni.
- Maintaining education partnerships to foster student learning including Richmond County Schools and Discovery Place Kids in Rockingham.
- Supporting first responders including Cordova Fire & Rescue and East Rockingham Fire Department.
- Partnering with organizations that assist members of the community that are aging, sick or hungry including United Way of Richmond County, Richmond County Aging Services, Richmond County Hospice and Samaritan’s Purse Whiteville.
A Responsible Steward of the Environment
Vulcan has established a strong record of environmental stewardship and operates Rockingham Quarry in an environmentally responsible manner that meets or exceeds local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Preserving and protecting local water resources, recycling water, managing stormwater and utilizing effective dust-control measures.
- Maintaining on-site wildlife habitat areas and initiatives that have been North Carolina Wildlife Federation certified since 2003.
- Partnering with organizations that share our environmental commitment including the Richmond Beekeepers Association and Ducks Unlimited.
Protecting Our People and Community
We have a responsibility to one another, our families, neighbors and communities. Our promise goes beyond regulatory compliance and is reinforced through the everyday actions of our people. Their expertise, dedication and innovation make us a longtime industry leader with proven performance.
- Prioritizing a safe work culture in recruiting and hiring people who are as committed to safety as we are.
- Zero MSHA Reportable Injuries: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018.
- MSHA Reportable Injury Rate outperforms the Industry: 0.68 lost-time injuries per 200,000 employee work hours compared to the industry rate of 1.52 (10-year average)
- MSHA Citation Rate: consistently lower than the Industry.
- Maintaining safe blasting procedures to protect our people, neighboring property and the community.
- Monitoring all blasting through an independent third party.
- Consistently meeting or doing better than the state safety blasting limits which are designed to protect people and structures.
We Make Big Rocks Into Small Rocks
What we do is quite simple. But it has to be done The Right Way.
- Engineers design and maintain mine plans which serve as the blueprints for the entire operation. Our inventory is the rock in the ground. It is mined at a rate based on customer demand which is largely tied to the economy.
- Using the mine plans, licensed and trained technicians, adhering to specific depths and patterns, drill holes into the rock.
- Then we safely and precisely remove a specific amount of rock from the ground through highly controlled blasting events that last less than a half of a second.
- Loaders and haul trucks transfer the rock to a primary crusher, which breaks it down into smaller rocks.
- The smaller rock is transported via a conveyor to the processing plant where it is processed, sized and sorted to meet customer specifications.
- At Rockingham, we ship finished product via rail cars to the east coast and local customers pick up orders via truck.
- Local customer trucks travel through a wheel wash, are weighed, ticketed and exit via a paved road to prevent track-out onto Galestown Road.
- Trucks are weighed to ensure compliance with weight limits on roadways before traveling to job sites or customer locations for use in homes, businesses, roads and bridges.